Thursday, March 20, 2014

Cartridge 2: Gadyurin, AKA Gdleen (ガデュリン)


Name: Gadyurin (ガデュリン)
Type: Science Fiction RPG
Available Languages: Japanese

Ladies and gentlemen, once again we visit the Super Famicom! Today’s game came to me entirely by coincidence. During a conversation with a fellow retro gamer and friend who loves the SNES, I was asked a question that I had no answer to. “What do you think of Gdleen?” To my intense embarrassment, I had never played it, even though it has the distinction of being the first Super Famicom RPG. This needed to be rectified, both to answer my friend’s question and to soothe my bruised ego. So three days later and six dollars lighter, I found myself in possession of a slightly used ‘Gadyurin’ cartridge. I will be calling it Gadyurin from here on out, because Gadyurin is the name on the cartridge and ‘Gdleen’ just looks strange to me. From the bit of pre-game research that I’ve done, Gadyurin is based on an anime that is based on a series of light novels. Hopefully this doesn’t require any prior knowledge of the series, as I’m quite the fish out of water here. But RPGs are supposed to be an adventure, so let the fun commence!
We start the game as the hero Ryuu, who has just had the misfortune of crash-landing on a strange planet. Several websites tell me that his name is Ryu-n, but the game and the Japanese websites that I’ve looked at say Ryuu, so that’s what I’m going with. After removing himself from his escape pod, Ryuu grabs his gear, including a laser gun, and heads out to find a way back home to Earth. It appears that we have landed in a place called the Forest of Rurua, but as that information means nothing to me, I suppose that we should keep exploring. Thankfully, the pod will allow Ryuu to rest as needed, so the all-important level grind can now come into effect.
 
 
Once he is less likely to die, it’s time to take Ryuu onward through the forest, past a disturbingly still river, to the Water Shrine’s Ruins. There is a grave keeper here, and he’s as full of doom and gloom as you could wish. Apparently this place used to be a bastion of strength against monsters, but lately they’ve found their way inside. So let’s head right in! I want to find this Taranto boss monster that he sounds so frightened of. I’ve spent enough time shooting lasers at mooks. After catching up with the local humanoids and looting their stuff, Ryuu heads out to perform some amateur heroics. He really doesn’t have much of a choice, as Taranto is between us and our destination.
I’m surprised at how much this game holds your hand as you progress. There are healers everywhere, it seems. First the space pod, then two healers in quick succession in the shrine. Either they’re trying to lull me into a false sense of security, or this is one of the easiest JRPGs ever made. Given prior experience, I’m going with the former until proven wrong. Taranto, as the name indicates, is a giant spider. Anyone who knows me well is aware that I have a severe case of arachnophobia, so this thing has got to go. With big red eyes, eight spikey toed legs, and a methodically munching fanged maw, Taranto is 16 bit nightmare fuel. It hits surprisingly hard and can poison you, giving proof to my earlier claim that this game appeared to be way too easy.
 
Taranto in all his spindly nastiness.
 
Once Taranto has been squished, and the creepy crawly feeling has passed, it’s time to take Ryuu further through the bowels of the shrine. After passing yet another healer and leaving through a horribly ugly courtyard, we find ourselves on the other side of the disturbingly still river. Apparently we couldn’t just ford our way across it. After covering another section of the Forest of Rurua, we run across an even more disturbingly still waterfall and, after a bit of searching, find Fana’s Spring. There we run smack dab into a cut-scene with a naked girl with fairy wings, who turns toward the protagonist with the camera cutting away at the last moment to taunt the audience. It seems that she speaks a different language than Ryuu, but can use a ring that she possesses to communicate with him. Surprisingly, she seems to be perfectly find with being buck naked in front of a strange man, and even hugs him. Turns out she wants in on our little quest and so becomes our next party member who, coincidentally, bears the name Fana. Lucky you, Ryuu. So Ryuu’s journey through this strange world continues, and so far I am satisfied with it. After all, it’s not every day that I get to kill a giant spider with a laser.
 
Fana seems quite comfortable in her own skin.

The battle system is your classic first person view turn-based system, with options to attack, run, use items, use special attacks, and defend. What is interesting is that this game also has a command that allows you to talk to the enemy, during which you can use one of several options in order to try to win them over to your side. You can tempt them with items, gems, and gold, or try to coerce them with your words. It’s surprisingly complex.
This game looks much better than I had anticipated. I was frankly shocked at how nice the appearance was in comparison to several other games of this era that I have played. I don’t know whether that says more about Gadyurin or about the companies who didn’t utilize the Super Famicom’s potential as a system. It’s not a visual marvel in any sense, but it passes muster for 1991. That being said, the mapping in some scenes was rather uninspired, and the character’s slow gait made getting around feel like an eternity. But to balance that out, there were a few enemy designs, such as Nemuri Hime, that I absolutely adored. The cut-scene with Fana, all subtext aside, was nicely done as well. Some of the music in this game is really catchy too, and I found myself stopping to listen to it more than once. Gadyurin, like many games of its era, was written in furigana, so it’s a great game for beginning learners of Japanese to start out with.
When all is said and done, I like Gadyurin. It was worth the investment of time, and certainly was a good place to drop six bucks. I had, of course, heard of this game before, but probably wouldn’t have gotten around to it for years if it wasn’t for the mention given to it by my friend. While he goes unnamed in this post, I want to thank him for giving me the push, intentional or otherwise, to play this game. I’ve truly enjoyed it, and I hope that this in some way answers his question. My quest through Gadyurin will most certainly be continuing.
 
 
If you feel like hearing more of my gaming prattle, feel free to follow me on Twitter. You can find me at @bejiita_buruma



No comments:

Post a Comment